Beef and Olives Stew

It's sunday, it's grey and cold, and of course, it's winter. What do we expect isn't it. Winter rhyme with stew..well not really. When it's cold outside, I just want to stay warm, and do nothing, But of course it's not possible when you just had your breakfast and your brain already asking what's for lunch?? My brain wired down to my tummy. Well at least this is how I thought it's functioning.

The last time I did this ragout or stew, was years ago, and last week, when one of my neighbor asked me if  I could give her any idea what to cook for the weekend. Her husband invite a friend over to the house and she's short of idea. First thing i asked her, what do you have in your fridge (fundamental question of course). She told me what she had and I tell her, why not chicken tajine And another neighbor chips in..beef and olives ragout. And I thanks her profusely for giving my idea. I know someone will be very very happy.

As I expected earlier..he's one happy bunny


Beef and Olives Ragout

Ingredients:
1 kg stewing beef, cut into bite pieces
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp ground cumin 
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp tumeric
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 cup green olives
1/3 cup olive oil
3 cup water
Salt and pepper


Heat oil in heavy saucepan over medium high heat. Add beef to pan and brown all sides. Add onion and garlic to pan. Cook until soft, stirring frequently for few minutes. Add spices and tomato paste, stir for 1 minutes. Add water, bring to boil. 

Cover and continue cooking for another 40 -50 minutes, add more water if it looks too dry. Once the time is up, check the beef, it should be tender and flaking apart. Add the olives, season well and simmer for few more minutes.

Scatter some chopped cilantro and serve warm with crusty bread or couscous.




Comments