Kuih Kaswi Gula Melaka

I was invited to M's house this morning for a coffee, a last one as everyone will be quite busy preparing stuff before heading home for a summer break. Okpo definitely will be very quite. Most of  the people I know will leave town except us and another girlfriend, as she's entering her third trimester of her pregnancy. We will have Okpo to ourselves!!

I made Kuih Kaswi, or Kosui, a traditional steamed nyonya kuih/cake, made from wheat and tapioca flour, gula melaka syrup and coat with grated coconut. I know M loves this kuih, she asked me last time if I know how to do it. In fact this was my second attempt to do it. And I found an excuse to use the mini mold given to me on my birthday by a another friend.



Kuih Kaswi Gula Melaka

Original Recipe : Azie's Kitchen Kuih Kaswi

Ingredients:
2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1 cup caster sugar
2-3 pandan leaves
2 pieces gula melaka (or 2 cups brown sugar)
7-8 cups water

1 cup grated coconut
Pinch of salt


In a sauce pan, add water, pandan leaves, gula melaka and sugar, heat over a medium heat until sugar is dissolve and it thickened. Remove from heat and discard the pandan leaves. Add flour (all purpose and tapioca flour). Mix the batter  until smooth and use sieve to remove lumps.

Prepare the steamer, greased molds and pour the batter into the molds and steam until it's set (15-20 mins). Remove from the steamer and let it cool completely.

Prepare the grated coconut, steamed in the microwave for about a minutes. 

Once the kuih has cooled down, remove from the molds and top with grated coconut.

Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar)


Comments