Skandraniettes aux Cacahuetes

Soon, Muslim all over the world will celebrate Eid, the first day of Shawal to mark the end of the ramadhan. For us, it will be a quiet celebration here in Geoje. We will go balik kampung (back to hometown) but much later as DH have to wait for his rotation leaves. Anyway, it's been 14th year we have been celebrated it outside Malaysia, I would be lying if I said that I'm not sad..of course I am, but I'm used to it, as long my kids and DH is here with me..home can be anywhere isn't it.


And for this special occasion, I've prepared some goodies to give away. I told DH I would like to prepare something Algerian. I had this peanut cookies years ago in my SIL place and I love it. Up until recently, I couldn't bother to find out how to prepare it until I stumbled the recipe.of course in Pinterest..where else isn't it.




Skandraniettes aux Cacahuetes
(Peanut Cookies)

Ingredients:
For the pastry dough
250 g flour
1 small egg
75 g butter, softened
1 pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Water (if needed)

For the peanut filling:
3 cups ground peanut
1 cup sugar
1 small egg
2 tbsp orange blossoms water

2 cups Honey 


Method for the pastry dough:
In a mixing bowl, add softened butter, flour, vanilla extract, salt and egg. Mix all the ingredients. Add little by little water until the dough comes together.  Knead the dough until it form a a soft dough form. Allow to rest for at least 1 hr.


Peanut filling:
Ground the peanut finely and mix with all the ingredients until it comes together. Roll into few logs. Set aside.

To assemble:
Divide the dough into a few portions. 

Rolled the dough very thinly, place the filling in the center, roll the dough and the peanut filling into a log and slice with diagonal cuts into 1" wide pieces.

Transfer the cookies to a baking sheet and repeat the process with the remaining peanut filing and dough. 

Bake in preheated oven (170 deg C) for about 15 minutes. 

Heat honey in q smaller pot until very hot. Once the cookies are baked, immediately transfer to the hot honey and allow the cookies to soak for a few minutes. 

Transfer the honey soaked cookies to a strainer and let the cookies cool down before storing.





Comments