Aubergine Sambal ~ Sambal Terung

Have you ever saw some photo of foods and your saliva almost drop from your mouth? I did and dear hubby asked me if I need a bucket or something. He does have this dark humor sometimes. Like yesterday, a friend of mine went for a lunch at Indonesian restaurant and I saw the spread ..OMG!! I need all that, like now! The meals was simple but yet look so appetizing.

To tell the truth, since we came back from our summer break in France, I have not found my cooking mojo yet. Too lazy and too warm to cook. Cooking yes but just to fill our tummy. Furthermore dear hubby following alkaline diet, so cooking becoming more like a chores to me. All the foods that we used to eat before now are ban in the kitchen, well at least for him. I have now good at making 2 kinds of cooking, normal and alkaline. Not that alkaline need any extra special ingredients, I just have to avoid adding white carbs, dairy and meats in all his foods. I told him that it's good that he want to look after himself but I need some real food. I'm still avoiding eating healthy, and I know that I should feel a shame of myself. Maybe one day I will do that. But today my dear friends, is not the day...YET



 Aubergine Sambal ~ Sambal Terung

Ingredients:
4 long eggplant

Sambal Paste:
300 g red chilies
3-4 shallots
2 cloves garlic
*1 small piece of belacan (shrimp paste)
2 small pieces tamarind peel or 2 tbsp tamarind juice, diluted with bit of water
Salt
Oil for frying

*remove the shrimp paste for vegetarian version


Rinse and cut aubergine into halves, soak in salt water. Drain the aubergine and wipe it dry.

Heat oil in frying pan and fry the aubergine until soft, drain and set aside. Remove some oil.

To make the sambal paste, blend roughly all the sambal paste ingredients except salt and tamarind peel. 

Heat a little oil in pan and sauté the paste. Stir the paste to prevent sticking and burning. Add the tamarind peel and season, let it simmer for about 5-10 minutes. Add the fried aubergine, coat it well.

Serve the sambal with warm rice.







Comments