Flourless Lemon and Almond Loaf

It was his birthday on Monday and he asked me during the weekend if I could make him something nice but guilt free cake, Since both of us in the middle of our diet, I told him happily not to worry about it. Everything under control.

Well, I lied!!! On Monday morning I'm still sitting in front of the lappy looking on Pinterest hi and lo for the guilt free cake..Ah-ah!!! I shouldn't lie!!

Luckily, within an hour, I found the recipe and rush to the nearest shop and get all the stuff. I took the "Last Minute" thing literally I guess.

I can't say how much Pinterest save me..Hey, I got a reputation you know :P

Verdict: The loaf is a quite dense because of the almond flour, bit zesty but not too sharp. Maybe if I could really find Meyer lemon, the taste will be different. Or maybe I could use Yuzu lemon when it's in the season. In all, he's happy man on his birthday.



Flourless Lemon and Almond Loaf (Gluten Free)
(Original Recipe from Simply Recipes)


4 large eggs, separated to 4 yolks and 4 egg whites - room temp
2 lemon, zest
100 g sugar (2 tbsp for egg whites)
170 g almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp white vinegar
Pinch of salt

Almond flakes
Icing sugar for sprinkling



Preheat oven at 175 C deg. Grease the loaf pan.

In a large bowl, beat together egg yolks, lemon zest, and half of the sugar until smooth.

In a separate bowl, whisk together almond flour and baking powder. Add the flour mixture to the yolk mixture and beat until smooth.

With an electric mixer, beat egg whites, starting on low speed and gradually increasing the speed. Add pinch of salt and vinegar. As the egg whites increase in volume, add loosely the remaining sugar, a little at a time. Continue beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.

Fold the beaten egg whites into the almond mixture little at a time. Gently fold in the rest of the whites. 

Pour the batter into a prepared pan and place in the oven. Sprinkle with almond slices and bake for 40 minutes (or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean) .

Remove from oven and let it cool. Dust icing sugar and serve





Comments