Cannelés Bordelais

When you are far away from the country that are famous for this miniature delicary, what are you going to do? Drooling in front of your laptop screen or find a way to DIY? I opted for the second one, i said to myself, even if i fail, at least i won't die stupidly not trying to do it myself.

When we were in Dubai last weekend, i had a shopping spree session for me. When to Tavola (unfortunately this baking goods shop not existed in Abu Dhabi) and like little girl in a candy shop, i was almost out of control, luckily DH was there with me, calming me down..hehehehe..should've see me when i was there, hilarious..I want everything! I got 2 silicon molds, one for making a cannelé and the other to make a simple small cake (gosh, i forgot the proper name), silicon baking mat, plastic mold for chocolate for Louisa and sausage stuffer for KitchenAid mixer. I was breaming happily coming out from the shop.

In the taxi, i keep on telling myself, i have to find the best but yet simple recipe for this cannelé. And DH bugging me to make for him a homemade snickers or twix, I've found the recipe and will do it one of this day..promise.

I have forgotten, how does the cannelé supposed to look like inside, the first batch that I did, it came out quite soft and mushy, i said to myself, i didn't wait long enough for the batter to relax. The second batch, after almost 24 hrs chilling in the fridge, came out better after the cooling session. Taste wise, a mix of crepe and flan. But how does it taste the original one? I FORGOT! Anybody out there remember the taste of this little marvel?

Recipe of Cannelés Bordelais

2             whole eggs plus 1 yolk
500ml      milk
225g        sugar
50g          butter
2 tsp        Vanilla Extract
4 tbsp      Rum - - I used apple juice instead
100g        plain flour

Method:
Boil milk with 100g sugar in a heavy saucepan. Once boiling, remove milk from heat and add butter and vanilla extract

Whisk eggs with remaining sugar until mixture whitens. Add flour and mix well. Add in boiled milk mixture.

Sieve and refrigerate for at least 24hours.

Next day:
Coat cooled Cannele mold in fridge. Coat molds with melted butter


Add rum to the refrigerated batter - sieve again if necessary. Fill the molds with batter and bake at 180C for 60 minutes.

Unmold when still hot and leave to cool. Once unmolded, the cake is soft and spongy. The crust will harden as it cools.


 

Comments