Coffee Eclairs, Chouquettes and 1st Anniversary for the Blog

Our little man asked if I could baked him a special cake for his birthday yesterday. I asked him and what would it be, without hesitation he answered me back : Coffee Eclair!

Gulp...

I know I had to confront my fear..it look easy when I read the recipe, but to make it in reality ummmmm a bit more tricky. Don't get me wrong, I made this before, few times and it came out beautifully, but since last year, everytime i did it, it came out nicely but few minute later, it just fell flat. I don't know what happened.

And what I fear most today happened again. It was nice and fluffy when  it came out from the oven, but just fall flat "again" once i put it on the cooling rack.

I followed the recipe from A-Z except for the size, but still..

For the second tray, instead of continue doing the éclairs, I make some chouquettes instead. Bringing down the temperature of the oven and prolonged the baking time, the chouquettes came out nice, golden colour and guess what, it still keep the form even when it's cool down already!

Next time  i will have to follow the exact size on the recipe.

I would like to thanks Danielle Todd from Paris Pastry for the recipe. I betrayed the size that written in your recipe and I paid the price - c'est bien fait pour moi..luckily our little man still happy with his "birthday" cake though it wasn't that pretty..this would explain why there's only one coffee éclair in the photo :p


Chouquettes

My stand alone Coffee Eclair - but the taste are superb and I break my diet just because of this!

The recipe of the eclair can be found at this blog :

and thank you all for visiting this blog, it's been a year now since I started



Comments

  1. Your eclairs look delicious even with the icing, I'd break MY diet for that too! Send it over!
    I am traumatized by chouquettes though. I tried to make them once. There is a recipe in the book you gave me. I was so happy to find the sugar balls, so I went home and followed the recipe. And then... disaster! It was like it would never cook. And the sugar wouldn't stick. And I tried to eat one and it was like a ball of pasty dough so I just threw them all in the garbage. It still hurts my feelings since I know I did everything by the book. Hahaha. But seriously, it does :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't blame yourself, i realised now that some of the recipes in the book are lousy and i had my part too when i throw everything in the bin..and using the recipes from that book too.

    Now, i stop buying book (occasionally hehee) and google in the net instead. Like this recipe. You can try this recipe for the chouquette, i tell you, the kids had this instead their lunch, that to prove to you it's working hehee..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I already bookmarked the site and will give it another try. I still have a whole box of the sugar crystals anyway. Actually it's only the chouquette recipe that didn't give me good results, but the rest have been ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! I do hope you will give another try before gicing up. I will do it again the eclairs once I'm off the regime. Got to loose few more kgs though..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment