Rolled Baklava

Time flies so fast and we already on the 19th day of Ramadhan. Day seems very very long and it took ages for the night to come, and since we're in the middle of summer, the heat doesn't help much either.

I've been promising hubby to bake some of ramadhan delicacies and everytime i wanted to do it, there is always something came up. Sometimes, there is a day I don't really feel like doing anything at all. Like the 2 nights ago, i told them, I'm not going to cook anything, we are going to have an apéro géant instead. Basically just some cold cuts and salad and they seems happy with it.

Finally yesterday I bring myself to bake the bakhlava, a sweet pastry made of layers of phyllo pastry sheets filled with nuts. I tell you, someone really really happy that I made this.

Though I made this before, I knew all along I didn't do it the right way. It doens't look like it should be. Thank you to Monsieur Google, I found a recipe with a Youtube link showing how to roll properly the phyllo sheets to make it wrinkle.

The recipe called for a homemade phyllo pastry, but I bought the sheets instead and couldn't be happier...
 

My own version of Rolled Bahklava recipe

Ingredients:
1 pack of phyllo pastry sheets
200 g butter
1 tbsp olive oil

Melt butter and add olive oil. Keep aside

Filling:
1 cup of chopped almond
1 cup of chopped pistachio
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 cup of sugar

Mix all the ingredients, keep aside.

Spiced Honey Syrup:
1 cup water
1 cup honey
1/2 cup sugar
2 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 tbsp orange rind
1 tbsp orange juice

Put everything in a small pan and bring to boil about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain the spices and rind then allow to cool.

Assembling:
Layer one sheet and brush loosely with the melted butter. Add one more layer and sprinkle the sheets with the nut mixture.

Place a chopstick at one end of the phyllo and roll it up loosely. Here the video how to do it: Rolled Bakhlava.

Once you use up all the sheets, brush the rolls with butter and cut the rolls in short lengths and bake.

Pre-heat oven at 180*C and bake for about 40 minutes or until golden and crisp.

When the hot bakhlava out from the oven, immediately pour the honey syrup on it.

Let the bakhalava cool in room temperature before serving.


Rolled bakhlava fresh from the oven, fully loaded with sugar syrup








Comments