How many more days for Eid?

We're heading towards the end of Ramadhan, how time passes so quickly and Louisa been asking me if we will make some "kuih raya" (Eid's cookies). When I said I'm not too sure, she gave a me look and begging me if we could. And for her, the ultimate kuih raya will be Cornflakes Cups or Honey Corn Flakes.

Of course I did say yes, how can I say no to those eyes, and looking at her finished half of the tray in one sitting during iftar, it was a pleasure to see her enjoy it..wait, aren;t we suppose to keep it for Eid?

I think the first time I ate the Cornflakes cup was ages ago. I was maybe around 10 or 11 yrs old. Mom bake it for Eid too. I still can remember the first bite, it was crispy and sticky. And mom keep reminding me the cokies was for Eid..and I remember how my classmates raving about it. Up to now, one of them will still remember my mom's cornflakes cup everytime she prepare it herself..Zuraini, this is for you..and I did think of you when I baked it too

Since I'm in baking mood, I made another cookies, Other Half's favourite Algerian pastry, Griouche or Sesame Honey Pastry. This pastry normally served for special occassions.



Cornflakes Cups
Ingredients:
2 cups Cornflakes
1/2 cup honey
1 stick butter, softened
Coloured sprinkles (optional)
Preheat oven at 180*C.
Beat butter and honey, add in cornflakes and mix until the cornflakes well coated.
Spoon the mixture into a small paper cup and bake around 6-10 minutes.
Cool completely before storing.

Griouche

Ingredients:
1 kg flour
300 g butter - melted
pinch of salt
30 g baking powder
1 tbsp orange blosson water
1 tbsp sugar
Enough water to fold the flour
Oil for deep frying

Garnishing:
1 bowl honey
2 tablespoons of orange blossom water
1 cup toasted sesame seeds

Bring the honey and orange blossom water to a boil.

Roast the sesame seeds in a pan.

Preparation:
Mix all the ingredients except for water. Make a well in the center and pour the melted butter, mix it and add little by little water. Knead the dough until it become elastic. Make balls about the size of an apple.

Let it rise for about a half hour. Then roll it out and cut into slices of 8-10 cm length, 2 cm wide and 1-2 mm thickness.

Make the twirls out of them. Heat up oil and deep fry the griouche until golden brown. Scoop them out when done and dip then into the warm honey (well covered) and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.




Comments