TNT Minecraft Cake with Marshmallow Fondant

Goodness, it's been a very long time since I've updated the blog. Two months break, a short holiday back in Kuala Lumpur and now I'm back.


While I was on my 'blog break', I really feel that I don't have to write anything, even when I did baked or cooked something nice. I just want to do nothing. I keep on saying to myself, naaah...I'll bake that again and put up on the blog...one day..when I have more courage and strength to move from the couch to computer table. I was a potato couch. Watching tv series, back to back. What a bliss. I think some of us homemakers can relate that. My kids can fend themselves now, both are at the age where they could prepare their own food, went to grocery without any supervision or just cycling alone outside. And being in Korea, is a plus, we're in a safe country, so far. Even Other Half told me that I should relax more and let them "debrouiller toute seules".

With kids are back to school, life back to routine for most of us. Though I still find it's weird not to have kids, screaming to each others or playing around, even Pistache the cat keep on looking for them in their rooms. Poor her..she miss them so much. But part of myself, I'm happy to have the house to my self again..I know I'm not the only one have this feeling..Come on....you know you do too

Few days back, I was approached by a friend, Z, asking me if I could bake 2 cakes for her son's birthday. And to my surprised, she asked me if I could make a Minecraft cake. WHAAAT??? Hehee..I admit I did laughed..and told her, sorry, I can baked and make some simple decoration, but Minecraft? Out of my league. I did a small Minecraft cake for our son's birthday, but it's different as it was for a personal consumption. I did asked her to look around for other professional bakers in the island first. But I doubt she can found any, as she only have 2 days to to do it. So it's back to me. She trust me so much that I'm scared to failed Z or her son. They have a high hope on me. It's almost Mission Impossible (slot in the music here)

The first cake was a simple vanilla pound cake, covered in chocolate ganache and Kitkats and M&Ms. That my friends, I can do it..no problemo..haha

Kitkats and M&Ms Vanilla Cake
(not the same cake but similar to this)

The second one, worth a few paragraphs I think..

TNT Minecraft Cake
Vanilla and chocolate checkerboard pound cake, covered with chocolate buttercream and marshmallow fondant.


When I look at this photo, I can't believe it I did it. Of course we could see the imperfection in every corner. But hey, I did it. The finished cake, weigh almost 5 kgs. It was heavy that I was scared to carry it to the car.

For the fondant, I used Wilton, Marshmallow Fondant. Very easy to follow and very straightforward, and only needed a few ingredients. 

Of course, I had few "Ooopss" moments while preparing this cake, from the uneven layers of cake, the failed buttercream that end up look more like a truffle paste, to a broken rolled fondant that I had to reconstruct the whole thing. I can feel the sweat rolling down on my neck..but I can't give up, I have a 10 yrs old boy that hoping to blow his candles with a Minecraft cake. I really have to make it happen. Yes, I was under pressure..

To cut the story short, I saw a photo of him in front of the cake, surrounding by his friends and look happy. That's all I want to see. I did a good job I guess. And most importantly, he's one happy boy according to Z.


To Azman, I wish you a thunderous Happy Birthday!



Comments