Cassava Leaves in Spicy Cream Sauce (Masak Lemak Tempoyak Pucuk Ubi)

I can count with one hand how many times I cook a typical kampung food like curries or sambal. I always choose to cook something simple that won't make me stand for a long time in front of the stove with exception of rendang. 
 
Recently a neighbour came back from Kuala Lumpur and hand me bag full with goodies..a preserved fish, turmeric leaves and young cassava leaves. I almost jump with joy as Masak Lemak come to my mind straight away. Once a foodies always a foodies isn't it. And I came up with a complete menu for the weekend. This cassava leaves in spicy coconut milk, grilled preserved fish, fresh cut cucumber with sambal and also chicken kurma in case somebody doesn't like the cassava leaves.

My heart melt when Miss 14 insisted to have the masak lemak for her tea time. As she told me, this sauce smell and taste funky..but delicious. I didn't tell her that I add some tempoyak (fermented durian). She was surprised when I told her once she finished her plate.

I should feed them more kampung dishes after this..


Masak Lemak Tempoyak Pucuk Ubi

2 bunch young cassava leaves
1/2 cup petai/stinky bean
1 cup prawn, peel and devein
1/2 cup dried anchovies, rinsed and drained
3 lemongrass, chopped roughly
1 tbsp turmeric powder
2 -3 bird eyes chili (optional)
400 ml cream
1 cup of tempoyak/fermented durian 
Salt to taste

Remove the leaves from the stem, wash and boil it for about 20 minutes. Drained and set aside. When the leaves are cool enough to touch, sliced them thinly.

In a food processor, add chopped lemongrass, turmeric powder, bird eye chili, drained anchovies and quarter of the coconut milk. Blend it finely. 

In a heavy base pot, add all the ingredients except prawn. Bring to boil over medium heat. Once it come to boil, reduce the heat and add prawn and salt. Let it simmer for few more minutes. 

Serve warm with nice steamed rice.

By this time, the kitchen smells so good, and the tempoyak give it an extra kick. Can't wait to serve it with my full kampung meal later



 

Comments