Another go

Once you're in the right track, you just have to continue doing it.  And I am very sure that I am not the last person in this world doing it, over and over again. Just to make sure that it's getting better and better.
Of course I'm talking about the macaron..silly me, should have put it in the title, but heck no..it will spoil the suspense, and you will stop reading the moment you saw the title...

I always did or baked or cooked something that I'm comfortable with, very rare I'm venture away from my safe recipes, but once in a while, I like to test my limits. And yesterday, my limitation has been tested and I passed!

I managed to make the most "scariest" (for me at least) filling for the macaron.Well, it is a challenge to me. Making caramel are not my "point fort". Always backing away the moment the recipes call for caramel. Alas, after reading, revising all the recipes found in the net,  I decided that I should get out from my comfort zone, and just do it - ok, this are not free publicity for Nike.

Armed with all the kitchen gadgets and that including all the bowls that I have, I managed to melt my syrup without looking too much disaster, things got a bit more trickier towards the end, and at the same time, Louisa trying to teach me what should I do - hey..give me back my recipe! Yeah, she wanted to go away with my recipe paper while I'm reading it!
Once the caramel is done and cooling on the counter, time to clean up the mess - spatula and saucepan are clean - licked by both kids, is that mean I don't have to do the washing up ?

Le Moment de vérité - HEAVEN! Do I need to say more?


Pierre Herme's Salted Caramel Macaron

Macaron Shells here

Ingredients for Salted Caramel
200g Sugar
330g Whipping Cream
30g Salted Butter + 140g Softened Salted Butter ( I added another 30g of butter to make a thick caramel)

1. Add about 50g of sugar to a saucepan, let this melt then add another 50g sugar and let this melt. Continue three times until all 200g of sugar has been incorporated and melted

2. Let the syrup caramelise until it has turned a very dark amber. Remove from the heat and add the 30g butter. Add the cream which will spatter and bubble and may seize up and harden but will melt in the next stage.

3. Put the pan back on the heat and cook until it reaches 108C on a candy thermometer. Pour into a dish and cover with plastic wrap to avoid it developing a skin. Let this completely cool.

4. Beat the remaining butter for 8 to 10 minutes and then incorporate the caramel in 2 additions. Add this to a piping bag fitted with a plain tip and pipe into half of the shells and then sandwich another shell on top. Store the Macarons in the refrigerator for 24hrs and then remove 2hrs before serving.

It's a tough challenge waiting for the macaron to mature..a sneaky hand hide behind her back and straight to her room..coming down few minutes later, announcing that this is the best macaron I ever made..cheeky Louisa

Comments

  1. I love Pierre Herme's work, it's an inspiration to me.

    Sweet Sarah french macarons and more
    sweetsarahshop.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for dropping by..he's our mentor..:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment