Meatless Monday

We were so busy over the weekend, sorting out our 25000000 boxes and cases in the spare room which were meant to be for Rayan. Boxes after boxes, I found all my precious recipes books..hubby was surprised that I have all that, and he making a remark to me..all these books and you still recycling the same thing over and over again??? Yeah, it's painful but that's reality..why should I change the menu if it's score a hit isn't it..Convincing? NO?

Yesterday he decided to choose the menu..anything with potato..okay..that would be
easy..hmm...not that easy actually..what kind of potato dish he want? Ok, I got carte blanche for that but...to meet everybody taste won't be that smooth. Rayan want fries, Louisa want sauté potato, hb want anything..and me? OH GOD!!

Around 5.30 kids asking me..what are we having tonight?? My usual reply..Chef Surprise..you'll see and you will love it..actually I still undecided what I'm going to do for dinner..sometimes it happened to most of us, writer block something like that..in my case, chef block maybe? Don't worry kids, you won't go to bed hungry tonight..I'm going to make something delicious..promise.

And of course, as promised..I made baked fried potatoes and Chacouka with eggs. Fairly simple dishes specially if you chose to go for meatless dinner.

 
Chachouka
(Egg baked in Tomato Sauce)
 
Ingredients for 4 people:
2 canned chopped tomatoes
1 large onion, sliced thinly
2 garlic cloves, chopped roughly
1/2 tsp cumin seed/powder
1/2 tsp oregano
2 table Olive oil
Salt and pepper
4 eggs
 
Heat oil in a medium frying pan. Add cumin seeds, fry for few minutes until it sizzles, then add chopped garlic and sliced onion, fry until the onion soften and golden.
 
Add oregano, chopped canned tomatoes, salt and pepper, continue to cook gently for another 10 minutes. Once the tomato sauce is thick, reduce the heat and make 4 hollows in the sauce and crack the eggs into each of them. Cover the pan to allow the eggs to cook, making sure that the white is set and yolks still runny.
 
Serve hot with fresh baguette, salad or like us, baked fried potatoes

Comments