Vietnamese Spring Rolls

Since we left Abu Dhabi last summer, I always remember our favourite Vietnamese restaurant there, Hanoi. My favourite order would be Pho with beef slices and their delicious spring rolls. I think nothing more Vietnamese than these.

Yesterday, I tried to create the same rolls but end up with quite a messy one. Hubby told me not to worry as it taste the same. But instead of dip it in the nuoc nam sauce, bit too salty to my liking, I found on the net, hoisin and peanut sauce. Basically just a mixture of hoisin sauce, peanut butter and bit of warm water. Instead of using a simple peanut butter, I used satay sauce (I always have it in the pantry, just in case..) I prefer this sauce as it taste much nicer with the rolls than the simple nuoc nam.

In all, the rolls came out light and it's healthy too!

 
Vietnamese Spring Rolls (or Goi Cuon)
 
Ingredients:
10 rice paper sheet
1 cup cooked prawns, shelled and deveined
1/2 cup cucumber, cut into long slices
1/2 cup carrot, cut into long slices
1 cup vermicelli rice noodle, prepared according to package directions
Lettuce leaves
Fresh mint
 
 
Method:
Prepare all the vegetables, put aside.
 
Dip one rice sheet in a warm water, for about few seconds (do not over soak or it will turn soggy), lay flat on work surface.
 
On one edge, lay a lettuce leaf, noodle and other vegetables and prawns. Roll up the rice sheet just like the eggroll but not too tight. Fin
 
Serve with the hoisin & peanut sauce.
 
Hoisin and Peanut Sauce:
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/2 cup peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
Warm water
 
Mix all the ingredients until well combine.
 
 
 
 
 


Comments